Back in 1922 realizing the need for fire protection, a group of residents met at the Brookhaven schoolhouse located at what used to be called “Sneads Corner”, presently the intersection of Brookhaven Road and Edgmont Avenue. The result of these meetings was the formation of the Brookhaven Volunteer Fire Company which was chartered on June 7, 1922. Today some of the names of the charter members can be seen as street names throughout the borough. The Brookhaven Fire Company became the second fire company in Chester Township since Brookhaven was not a borough at that time. On that day in 1922 Brookhaven Fire Company started on its future for the pursuit of excellence and continued service to the community.